Monday, October 31, 2011

Fear

Happy Halloween!

I figured fear would be an appropriate topic for this week's Motivation Monday.

Fear as a Motivator
This is the healthy kind of fear. This is the fear of failure and embarrassment that makes you practice your speech 20 times before the big presentation. It's the fear of death that motivates you to avoid dangerous situations. This kind of fear is no problem and we should do our best to preserve it, but the other kind of fear is the one we should work to overcome.

Fear as a De-Motivator
This is the bad kind of fear. This is the fear of failure and embarrassment that causes you to freeze and stutter as you give your speech during the big presentation. It's the fear that prevents you from participating in normal activities. Fear can limit us so much that we need strong motivation to overcome it. As a kid, I was shy enough that going door to door in a silly costume would have terrified me any other day, but I had a strong motivation to combat that fear. CANDY! Okay, it wasn't just the candy. I also wanted to do what other kids did and have fun with my friends. That desire for candy and time with my friends was strong enough for me to overcome my fear. For every fear we need to overcome, we need a motivator stronger than that fear.

"When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it."
-- Bill Cosby

No comments:

Post a Comment