Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Pomodoro Technique

www.pomodorotechnique.com
I'm a big believer in the ten minute fix. It doesn't have to take long to do many of the things we need to do. I do realize; however, that not EVERYTHING can be done in just ten minutes. For example, I would like to write a book one day, but I can't do it in ten minutes. I can't even write this blog in just ten minutes. When you need to spend several productive hours on a project, the Pomodoro Technique may be able to help.

What is the Pomodoro Technique?
It's a system for time management developed by a man named, Francesco Cirillo. It divides your work day into 25 minutes of focused work followed by a 5 minute break. This 30 minutes is called a Pomodoro. After four consecutive Pomodoros, you get a 15-30 minute break. At the center of this system is a timer. The first timer used by Francesco Cirillo was shaped like a tomato, hince the name Pomodoro (tomato in Italian).

What are the benefits?
One of the most appealing claims to me is that it reduces stress and results in more productive work. In his book outlining the technique Francesco tells us the following...

The passage of time is no longer perceived as negative, but positive. Every Pomodoro
represents the opportunity to improve, or in crisis situations, to rapidly reorganize. The more time passes, the better chance you have to improve your process. The more time passes, the more easily activities can be estimated and scheduled. The more time passes, the more the feeling of anxiety is assuaged, and in its place come enhanced consciousness, sharper focus on the here and now, and a clearer mind in deciding your next move. The result is higher productivity.
In my opinion one of the greatest benefits could simply be improving focus. Sometimes I can get distracted while working because I feel like I've been doing it forever, even though only five minutes have passed since my last visit to Facebook.

Is it just dividing up time and taking breaks?
No, there's more to it than that. In his book, Francesco also discusses making lists, tracking productivity, dealing with distractions and interruptions, etc... If you want more information I suggest you read it. It's only 38 pages long and has some good examples on how to use the technique. Here's a link to a free PDF version.

Does it really work?
I don't know. That's why I'm trying it out. I figure I'll give it a month so I can get the hang of it and really give it a fair shot. I'm actually coming up on the end of my very first Pomodoro as I type this. I can tell you that I'm really excited and I believe it will greatly improve my productivity. If you have tried this technique, let me know what you think of it. I'll keep you updated and tell you if the technique gets the Vaughn Life Coaching Seal of Approval. How many Pomodoros would it take to make up a seal of approval?

No comments:

Post a Comment