Thursday, February 3, 2011

Working Out Isn't Working Out

Braxton from Texas asks...
"I have high blood pressure. I have been eating healthy the last 2 weeks and I have felt much better; however, it's the gym that I just don’t like. I just can’t seem to get motivated to go. I hate it, I guess. Do you have any suggestions for me to get over that and help me enjoy the gym?"
I know personally that a reward of barbecued brisket and chocolate ice cream after going to the gym would motivate ME, but that would be counterproductive. This may sound oversimplified, but the only way to enjoy the gym, is to get some kind of satisfaction from going. Regular exercise results in feeling healthier and happier, but unfortunately, it takes a lot of time and hard work before it can be recognized. Once you're in the habit of working out and you feel healthier and can see the effects, you will enjoy it. The trick is sticking with it until you get to that point. Here are some ideas you can try.

Remove the Option
In college, I went to all my classes...for a while. I had a pretty good record, but one day I missed a class. Much to my surprise, the world didn't end. I didn't even get behind or miss anything important. Suddenly, I felt like not going to class was an option. After that, going to class was a huge struggle. Every time I had to DECIDE to go, where before I just went because that's what I had to do. If you can commit yourself to the point where going to the gym is the only option, it will be easier. You won't have to think about how tired you are, or the other things you could be doing. You'll just think, "It's 7:00. Time to go to the gym." Simple.

Bribe Yourself
Since the rewards of good health will take a while to manifest themselves, you can create an artificial reward to tide you over. Maybe if you go to the gym three times a week for a month you can go on a little trip or buy that autographed picture of Jason Alexander you saw on eBay. For this to work, you have to really want whatever reward you choose, and be willing to deny yourself that reward if you don't meet the terms you have set.

Go with a Friend
If you go to the gym with someone else on a regular basis, they'll be able to encourage you and hold you accountable if you don’t show up. Find someone with a similar goal and schedule as you. It won’t be hard to find someone who made a New Year’s resolution to lose weight or get into shape. Strike up a deal where you will make sure they go, if they in turn make sure that you go.

The key is to discover what’s holding you back, and then find a way around it. (See Figure Below) Your obstacle and solution will be unique to you. Consider the ideas I mentioned above, but the solution you come up with for yourself will be the most powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment