Friday, April 16, 2010

The Meaning of Life

What is the meaning of life? That’s easy. The meaning of life is a bleu cheese bacon burger; hold the tomato; extra bacon. Now you can stop wondering. I’m glad I could help.

It’s so easy, and I mean SO easy, to go through an entire day/week/month/year without ever living! I’m sure I have gone several years without a single bleu cheese bacon burger. How does that happen?! With schedules filled to capacity we sacrifice living in the name of survival. We need food, clothing, shelter, and iPhones to survive. These are basics, and to get them, you have to WORK. Work and other societal obligations can take over completely if we let them. If you’re not careful you can live for 100 years, but only have REALLY lived for the 10 minutes it took you to eat that bleu cheese bacon burger at a diner in Poughkeepsie. Don’t let this be you!

Ask yourself, when do I feel alive? When am I at my happiest? What makes my life worth living? If your answers are never and nothing, I recommend you see a therapist, but if you have answers, ask yourself if you dedicate enough time to that activity/person/foodstuff. Your life is right now! Don’t sacrifice everything and suffer in hopes that in the future you’ll be able to relax. NEWS FLASH! After a lifetime of not relaxing, you’ll have no idea how to enjoy it when the time comes…if it comes.

For this week, try taking a moment every night to write down what you did to live that day. What was the thing that made all the stress worth it? If you find this to be a difficult task, it's time for some self-reflection.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very nice article. Thank you for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Coach Kyle. May at school is too busy to have any fun times! But I think I should take time to at least decide on a "living" thing to do and try to get it in before the end of the month! Glad I found this site!

    ReplyDelete